The objectives of the State Fair Junior Dairymen’s Contest are:
- To provide an educational program for Virginia youth who are interested in improving their knowledge of the dairy industry; and
- To provide a competitive program for Virginia youth to test their knowledge of the dairy industry.
Information about rules and regulations, an overview of the contest, determination of ratings, listing of classes, awards, and scholarships may be found in the State Fair Competition Guide.
- Written test of 50 questions (250 points)
- Identification of 10 pieces of dairy equipment (50 points)
- Identification of 10 pieces of cattle equipment (50 points)
- Identification of 10 grains, forages, silage, or supplements commonly fed to dairy cows (50 points)
- Identification of 10 dairy products (50 points)
- Judge a class of cows (50 points)
- Judge a class of heifers (50 points)
- Judge a pedigree class (50 points)
- Total possible points = 600
- Competition Guide
- List of possible identification items
- Virginia 4-H Dairy Quiz Bowl Study Materials
- Sample Junior Written Test
- Sample Senior Written Test
- Sample pedigree class
- “Pedigree Questions & Answers” (Holstein Foundation publication)
Entry deadline: September 16
Participants must enter the State Fair Showorks system. For State Fair entry system to to www.statefairva.org under 'State Fair' then 'Competitions' prior to September 16th. Teams will need to be entered under team or school name. Individuals will also need to be entered separately to be eligible for premiums and scholarships.
Participants must have a $5 Student Competition Ticket to enter the Fair grounds unless they are already at the Fair for another competition.